As a holy listener …. I have to put myself out of the way, to become humble in the true sense of knowing my place in the order of God’s creation …. above, all, I must be reverent, for I am entrusted with something precious and tender. Margaret Guenther
This is the essence of spiritual direction. Enjoy this conversation between Gem Fadling and Beth Booram. Here are the questions discussed:
- How do you meet with God? What is your personal experience tending your own prayer and contemplative life?
- What is your favorite definition of spiritual direction?
- Describe the art of listening to God and the other person at the same time?
- How do you develop the skill of asking good questions?
- What are the benefits of spiritual direction?
- What do you talk about with a spiritual director?
- When is a good time in life for someone to seek spiritual direction?
- What is one piece of advice you would give to a practicing spiritual director?
- What is one piece of advice you would give to someone who is currently in a spiritual direction relationship?
Beth Booram, along with her husband David, is the founder and director of Sustainable Faith Indy, a retreat center in Indianapolis. She leads the Sustainable Faith School of Spiritual Direction in Indy and speaks around the country on topics related to spiritual formation and Christian leadership. She has authored several books including Awaken Your Senses, and Starting Something New: Spiritual Direction for Your God-given Dream.
Click here to read one person’s journey into spiritual direction, written by our good friend, Karen Bartlett.
Click here to watch a short video that describes the primary role of a spiritual director.
Click here to read Beth Booram’s very convincing article, “Why We Need Spiritual Direction More Than Ever.”
Click here to find a Christ-centered spiritual director.